Thursday, August 15, 2013

Top 5 Personal Favourite Affordable Restaurants

So, I've graduated and I'm back from London for good now. Unfortunately, I am still suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I miss not being able to walk in the cool summer sunshine to get to the tube (yes, I even miss the tube - it was my last vestige of complete independence) or to waitrose to buy my favourite yogurt (the yogurt selection in Singapore is dismal). And it saddens me to think that I now no longer live 10 minutes away from a train station that could take me to Paris in three hours. I would go on but I risk spiraling into despair. 

Nevertheless, if these things could have lasted forever, I wouldn't appreciate them nearly as much as I did. This post will be my last on London and I'm going to reveal the restaurants I enjoyed most - those that my friends and I would visit after a 5 hour stint at the UCL library or just wanted something hearty and inexpensive to fill our grumbling stomachs with.



In no particular order -

1. Koya


Koya is one of the first Japanese places I visited upon landing in London and remains my favourite with consistent honest to goodness udon. Tonkotsu and Bone Daddies have since cropped up in Tottenham Court Road but the soup at Tonkotsu isn't always served scalding hot the way I prefer and Bone Daddies' ramen soup is far too salty. Go early to avoid queues, but don't worry, they aren't as long as the ones stretching out from Burger & Lobster and Bone Daddies at dinner time. 


See the blog review here!


49 Frith Street  
London W1D 4SG

2. Texture


I've only been here once but for two courses and the promise of a Michelin starred meal at 20 pounds, it's very good value for money. See the blog review here! 

34 Portman Street
London W1H 7BY
020 7224 0028


3. Naru



This (relatively) little known restaurant serves the best spicy chicken and korean green tea. Bite-sized and tender, the spicy chicken is coated in mouthwateringly succulent sauce with a zesty tang. The bimimbap rice is fluffly, light and a delightful complement to the chicken. 

I'm surprised Naru isn't always teeming with people but that's one of its charms. I wanted to keep this place to myself for as long as possible so I selfishly refrained from blogging about it, until now that is. 

230 Shaftesbury Avenue
London WC2H 8EG
02073797962

4. Gold Mine 

Gold Mine has the most succulent, tender roast duck and my personal favourite "House Special Tofu". If you're an Asian living in London, I need say no more - you've probably already been. I've probably eaten here more than 10 times. My mother brought me here when we touched down in London before I enrolled at King's; I had a friend who made it a point ALWAYS to eat here whenever he visited from Warwick [which he did regularly] and having another good friend who lives in Queensway meant we ended up at Gold Mine alot. 

102 Queensway
London W2 3RR


5. Yalla Yalla

Hummus and Baba Ganoush [from my instagram]

It doesn't seem so from the lack of Mediterranean/Lebanese food on Cafe Creatures but I actually adore Mediterranean food. I cannot get enough of hummus (I tried to make my own once but I think I'm going to stick to commercially made hummus). Yalla Yalla does the creamiest, most velvety hummus peppered with pomegranate seeds and the most flavourful Baba Ganoush that comes with piping hot pita bread. It's always a long [30 minute plus] wait for a table if you go past 7pm but, at the risk of sounding cliche, it's worth the wait. 

1 Green's Court
London W1F 0HA
020 7287 7663


For those of you lucky enough to be studying abroad in London, don't complain about the weather, don't curse at the tube and don't judge that crazy person on the bus - it'll all be gone before you know it. 

No comments: