Thursday, September 22, 2011

SINGAPORE: Jewel Coffee

Either the cafe culture in Singapore is growing, or I'm starting to appreciate it more after London. Now that I'm back in London, I've come to realize that the city has changed me. I have a seemingly insatiable thirst for adventure that was never there before. I used to be satisfied with Orchard road, but now I have regular hankerings for Haji Lane or Ann Siang Hill - both streets have the charm of what I imagine olden day Singapore must have looked like and are peppered with cosy, sunny little eateries. 

Maybe it's the influx of driving licenses amongst my friends (mine isn't counted since I'm only allowed to drive to 3 places), but (almost) every nook and cranny of Singapore is suddenly and refreshingly accessible. 

It's always a pleasure to reconnect with an old friend, and Jewel Coffee was the perfect place to do it. For a cafe named for its coffee, Jewel Coffee had unexpectedly good food. What I loved most however, was the Flourless Orange Cake: see last picture  








Bethy's Ribeye Hero Sandwich! 
My house salad came with prune dressing, a refreshing alternative to the usual balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Flourless Orange Cake with Butterscotch Sauce: If only I had an oven here in London, I'd probably bake it on a regular basis. 
The manager told us, with a self-satisfied smile, that he'd hired the waiter from -a well-known cafe that I won't mention here, just in case- who then bestowed Jewel Coffee with the secret recipe. The real draw for me was the way melts in your mouth in a sweet implosion of citrus and almond; it's no wonder most of the cake disappeared between the time I started brunch and the time I finished. 


Jewel Coffee
1 Shenton Way 
#01-07
Singapore 068803


Opening Hours
Mon - Fri:7:00 am-9:00 pm
Sat:8:00 am-5:00 pm

3 comments:

max said...

i heard good things about this place!

max said...

hey... if you like coffee, next time do check out
Broers
40 Hands
Loysel's Toy(s?)
Joe and Dough.

Mary said...

yeah I do love 40 hands! I've heard about Loysel's Toy as well so I'm definitely going once I go back. Thanks for the recommendations (: