Saturday, June 11, 2011

PARIS: The Unfood Bits

I've been eating like a queen everyday since I travelled over from London on the Eurostar to meet my family in Paris. As a result, I'm actually getting, dare I say it, sick of eating. So, this is a one-post break from food, dedicated entirely to un-food photography. 


When I think of Paris, I think eiffel tower (surprise, surprise), generously buttered croissants and effortlessly well-dressed french people. I found this to be entirely true when I finally got here, complete with exorbitant prices and a blatant tourist-infestation. I've discovered over the past year that the kind of people you find when you travel is unique to the city within which you find yourself. While Londoners are effusively eccentric with their red tights and faux cheetah fur coats, Parisians have a distinctly polished style. A friend of mine once said, "the closer you get to the central area (in London), the thinner and more beautiful people get." In Paris, it seems as though they're beautiful everywhere, all the time.


What I love about Parisians is that they rarely go out looking drab; even old men are dressed very sweetly in well-fitted tweed and berets. After the two days I spent in Paris taking these photographs, I now completely understand the motivation behind The Sartorialist. Sometimes strangers make far better subjects than scenery and food.  





How did she do that??
 


No prizes for guessing where this is. I have a sudden urge to re-read The Da Vinci Code. 

Sometimes I wish I'd taken art, just so I'd have an excuse to sit serenely in a museum for hours, lost in my own world as I sketch away.
Look who I bumped into at a cafe in the Louvre!

3 comments:

Antistyxian said...

Ooh I checked out Sartorialist. The guy's amazing!

Rachel Wong said...

very pretty pictures , Mary :) my album " paris " pales in comparison . hehe. - Rachelle Chocolat

Mary said...

haha thanks rachel (: and that's not true! You and sue wei are such camwhores :P