Thursday, September 29, 2011

LONDON: Yashin Sushi

Best. Sushi platter. Ever. 
If you think about it, sushi is actually an incredibly lazy way of eating. Instead of taking a tiny portion of meat, vegetables and rice, arranging it onto your spoon, and then delivering it to your mouth, the entire mouthful has already been carefully and delicately composed into a bite sized nugget of perfection. It is such sheer Japenese-infused ingenuity that I simply cannot fathom how I ever balked at the thought of eating raw fish. Ironically, my change of heart only came about in London. Then again, with personal growth comes a maturing taste palate and a new found open mindedness to different textures and flavours. 

With it's tastefully done interiors and impeccably dressed wait staff, Yashin fits like a hand into a glove into High Street Kensington. I was spoiled for choice with their sashimi platter: trout, sea bass, yellowtail, parrot fish were laid out in 2 tempting rows of four amongst other sashimi, the names of which I can no longer recall. Luckily I didn't have to choose - everybody had a plate of their own. 


Thanking my dinner hosts with a box of my favourite Pierre Herme macaroons, I went home happy; with a full stomach and reunited with the dslr I'd painfully sacrificed in the packing process. 
The miso soup comes in a tea cup!
Test tube sake in ice: each test tube is a different type of sake.


Yashin
1A Argyll Road
High Street Kensington
W8 7DB

3 comments:

The B*critic said...

can you please help - I'm coming into london and looking for a place to eat!! yum! is yashin expensive?? thanks! M

Mary said...

Hi! It is quite expensive, but it's very good for sashimi. If you're looking for more affordable (but still extremely good) japanese food I'd suggest
1. Koya for ramen: http://cafecreatures.blogspot.com/2011/11/london-japanese-special-koya-and.html

2. Atariya for sashimi: http://www.atariya.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

http://strikethematch.tumblr.com/post/11096152031/cafecreatures#notes

Found you on tumblr... :D