Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake


If I were allowed only one type of alcohol for the rest of my life, I think it would be Baileys. I could have it with milk after breakfast, lunch and dinner (which actually did happen when I went to Pulau Joyo two days ago) and still never tire of its sweet creaminess. 

Knowing that Carmen herself isn't immune to the temptation of Baileys, I decided to alter my favourite banana chiffon cake recipe and turn it into a Baileys birthday cake for her 20th. ( I also contemplated making Baileys tiramisu but her other friends beat me to it :( ) My only regret was that the taste of Baileys in my chiffon cake wasn't nearly strong enough. So in a sinful moment of inspiration I made a rare but conscious decision to slather baileys icing all over the cake. 

Add 4 egg yolks

After whipping the egg whites til stiff peaks form, fold into the egg yolk mixture.
Pour the batter into two equal pans and bake for 25 minutes 
Make bailey's icing (see instructions below) and slather on first half of the cake
Carefully put second cake layer on the first one and ice the top
Bailey's Cake Slice


P.S. Since we're on the topic of alcohol: There is a universal love for binge drinking that I can't quite understand. Sure, there's that surreal feeling you get when you're inebriated, or the deliriously happy world you and your friends recede into that allow you to defy all social norm and get away with it. But is it really worth all that excessive intake of poisonous, foul-tasting liquid? I don't know if it's the chemical taste of ethanol that lingers on your tongue or the fact that I turn an awful shade of lobster red after one too many shots, but alcohol just isn't my thing. (Okay, unless it's Baileys, Malibu, Moscato or a Peach Berlini.) 


Bailey’s Irish Cream Cake


Ingredients
Egg yolk mixture:
- 4 egg yolks
- 80g cake flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g sunflower oil
- 100g Baileys
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Eggwhite mixture:
- 4 eggwhites
- 100g caster sugar
- pinch of salt

Method
·       Eggyolk mixture: Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl with a balloon whisk until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.

·       Eggwhite : With an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, adding the sugar slowly during the whipping.

·       Mix eggyolk and eggwhite mixture in 2 batches until blended well. Pour batter into 2 cake pans brushed with oil/butter. Put in the preheated oven at 170 degree C and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked.

Bailey’s Icing
125g butter
1 ½ cups icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp Bailey’s Irish Cream

Directions:
1.     Cream together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and Bailey’s.
2.     Slather on a cool cake. 

No comments: