Sunday, July 10, 2011

SINGAPORE: Fluffy Banana Pancakes


After 6 months in London, I'm finally back home. In between seeing my friends again and exercising the europe weight off, I've been passing time in the kitchen - cooking, not (just) eating. I'm determined to take full advantage of the well-worn oven and trusty kitchenaid mixer sitting sturdily on the kitchen counter before I leave them behind again in September.  

With a solitary banana which was ripening all too fast in the fridge and a bored best friend, I'd decided to make banana pancakes one evening before dinner. I'd only intended to eat one but we each ended up eating 3 (slathered generously with my mum's homemade jam), so our light, pre-dinner breakfast snack turned into dinner. 

I haven't made pancakes before but these were ridiculously easy to make, especially with the kitchenaid to whip the egg whites, so we made them perfect on the first try. Scroll down for the recipe! 
 
I love how such unappetizing-looking batter solidifies into beautiful fluffy pancakes within minutes.




banana pancakes and honey at sunset

Fluffy Banana Pancakes
• 3 large eggs
• 115g/4oz plain flour
• 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
• 140ml/5fl oz milk
• 2 ripe bananas (I only used 1 but 2 would've been perfect)
• a pinch of salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon 

First separate the eggs, putting the whites into one bowl and the yolks into another. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and milk to the yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter. Mash the bananas with a fork and mix them in. Whisk the whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold into the batter – it is now ready to use.

Heat a good non-stick pan on a medium heat. Pour some of your batter into the pan and fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm. Flip the pancake over. Continue frying until both sides are golden. 

No comments: