Sunday, May 22, 2011

LONDON: La Crêperie De Hampstead

I've always been a crêpe person. Back in Singapore I could spend the entire day looking forward to having them at dessert time, that golden hour after dinner and before bed time when the family gathers together, forgets the days worries, and tucks into whatever my mum has prepared or my dad has bought from Cedele. Hot from the stove, the crêpes are stuffed mercilessly with häagen dazs ice cream and drizzled over with jam. 

Hampstead High Street
Almost, almost, comparable to the crêpes I have at home are the ones at Hampstead High Street. 
This peaceful, quaint little area of London seems so far away from the claustrophobic hustle and bustle of Oxford street and Piccadilly circus, it's London's version of Singapore's Holland Village; especially so to me, since both are walking distance from where I live in both cities. 




Crepe Complete - ham, egg and cheese
At La Crêperie De Hampstead, the crêpes are made fresh before you by two very french crepe-makers, exchanging light-hearted conversation in a language I wish I could speak. C'est très jolie, n'est pas? 


These crêpes range from savoury and cheesey for lunchers to sweet and chocolatey for dessert, but my favourite is the almond, butter and sugar crêpe - less really is more in this case. The magnificently thick batter is swirled onto hot plates, browned, and butter is melted onto it before being sprinkled with chopped almonds and sugar - all folded together into a single slice of heaven. 
La Crêperie De Hampstead
77 Hampstead High Street
City of London, Greater London NW3 1RE

2 comments:

Antistyxian said...

Yum. And how expensive are they?

Mary said...

haha hi jose! No more than 5 pounds each (about 10 sing).