Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mexican Fajitas



There's only one place I go to for Mexican food in Singapore because, not only is it good, it's 20 minutes away for me and most of my friends and that's Cha Cha Cha at holland village. Sadly however, they've reduced their portion sizes - especially apparent in terms of their guacamole servings - and charge a lot more for a dissatisfying extra portion. It was about time I took matters into my own hands and made my own fajitas, because when it comes down to the important things, like the sour cream to guacamole ratio or how many red peppers you want in your wrap, nobody knows you better than you know yourself. 

Fajitas are like angmoh popiahs, and I adore popiah. Last week I had Fajitas twice in three days. I made them with my friends first - a simple recipe with grilled chicken, panfried peppers, caramelized onions with home-made hummus and guacamole. Two days later, my mum one upped us and used an actual grill and a hot plate for the peppers, onions and marinated pork. Not that I'm complaining of course. 

My attempt with friends' help: dinner for 3
home-made hummus and guacamole, oven-baked chicken
oven-baked chicken marinated in greek yogurt with curry powder, chilli flakes, a dash of honey, salt and pepper 

My mum's attempt: dinner for 6 
Grilling the peppers and chopped onions
Grilled Pork
Guacamole: mashed avocado with lemon juice (optional: chilli flakes)
Shredded Romaine Lettuce
Salsa: diced tomatoes, onions and chopped red chilli tossed in olive oil and seasoned with pepper

Caramelized onions and grilled red pepper on a sizzling hot plate

wrap-style 
I suppose 15 years of cooking for a family of 6 fussy eaters teaches you a thing or two about how to make sure nobody leaves the table unsatisfied. 

Important tip! Heat the wraps individually on a pan and drizzle some shredded cheddar on top until it melts. Then pile all your favourite things in and fold taco style. These may not make for great pictures, but they taste a million times better than microwaves wraps.

pan-heated and taco-style 
Cha Cha Cha
32 Lorong Mambong
Holland Village
Singapore
Tel: +65 6462 1650
                         

No comments: