Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Chiffon" Blueberry Lemon Cake


Sometimes you can do everything right, but one tiny, fatal mistake can ruin everything and anything you try to do to salvage the situation just worsens it. In other words, I let the egg yolk contaminate the egg white when I was trying to make chiffon cake. 

Chiffon cake is essentially sponge cake and to achieve this consistency, you have to fold whipped egg whites into the mixture. I find whipped egg whites one of the most fascinating things about baking. If separated perfectly from their egg yolks, the gooey pale yellow egg white mixture can be whipped into a lusciously soft cream entirely puffed up with air. This is the idea behind meringues, souffles and alas, what was supposed to be my chiffon cake. 

In the end, my egg whites didn't stiffen because they were contaminated so when I mixed them into the batter, the whole thing was just a liquid mess. In a desperate effort to salvage my cake, I added a cup of flour, thus sealing my fate. Dramatics aside, the one good thing that came out of baking this cake was the time I spent with my friends throwing ingredients into the batter. 



separate the egg white and egg yolks: you can't see it in the picture, but this is where it all went wrong :(

pour in the greek yogurt


whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks - though they should be stiffer than this


fresh out of the oven and pre-popped from its silicone mould



No comments: