Tuesday, February 12, 2013

LONDON: Restaurant Gordon Ramsay

Roasted rabbit loin with Bayonne ham, confit leg, Puy lentils, toasted hazelnuts and pickled mustard seed
A world away from Gordon Ramsay's Maze, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay was a breath of fresh air. Although my salad starter was nowhere near as epiphany-inducing as the lemon salad I had at Dinner by Heston, Gordon Ramsay's mains were exquisitely executed. My roasted rabbit loin (I know, I know. I'm eating a bunny. But it was oh so worth it.) was tender, flavourful and ingeniously paired with a side of lentils enveloped in hazelnuttiness. 


The better the bread, the better the restaurant. The mark of a truly good restaurant is warm, freshly toasted bread. This is the most irresistible form of carbohydrate out there and, slathered with butter, a revelation on the taste buds. 


Smoked potato and poached hen’s egg ravioli with pak choi, roast chicken jus and leek veloute



Spiced free range Devon duck with Swiss chard, beetroot and grilled onions

Banana parfait, peanut butter mousse and bitter chocolate sandwich with caramelised bananas

Roasted pineapple with coriander financiers, coconut sorbet and vanilla cream
Though I found the roasted pineapple slightly disappointing in terms of the excitement/luxurious factor, the financiers it came with were one of the best I've had. (My other favourite financiers are the ones at Pollen Street Social). Moist without being cloyingly sweet, these financiers are the pinnacle of baking - simple, uncomplicated and perfect from crust to centre. 






The post-dessert treats that came were no different from the ones that were presented two years ago when I first came to London. Strawberry ice cream is encrusted in white chocolate and floats magically on a bed of dry ice. If there were one thing differentiating this michelin star restaurant from the rest, it would be this. 

68 Royal Hospital Rd
London
Greater London SW3 4HP
020 7352 4441

No comments: