Thursday, June 28, 2012

LONDON: Pollen Street Social ROUND 2


Chocolate “Black Forest” fondant, praline, liqueur sponge, cherry sorbet
As one of my favourite places to eat in London and one with an ever changing menu, Pollen Street Social deserves a second post. With a friend visiting London for the first time, I was searching for the perfect introduction to London's thriving food scene and I knew Pollen Street Social wouldn't fail me. 

It's rare to find a place with a laid-back, unpretentious interior, friendly service and quality food without the exorbitant prices. I shy away from fine dining places with hard, cold marble floors and ostentatious glass chandeliers that scream pretense and border on tastelessness. Pollen Street Social manages to serve gourmet food without that overt flamboyance and an air of class that does not stifle conversation but is subtle enough to be appreciated.  


Slow cooked egg, home smoked Scottish haddock, curry puffed rice, parsley veloute
Cornish red mullet “aioli”, vegetable salad, Jersey Royals


Roasted cod, cockle vinaigrette, young leeks cooked & raw
 
Lemon & lime flavours, crispy meringue, lime yoghurt sorbet
The meringue was incredibly refreshing, especially with London's eccentric weather on the extreme end of hot. Although the chocolate desserts at Pollen St. have always been slightly too sweet and decadent for my taste, it might appeal to others. 



Much to my delight, I've discovered that Jason Atherton, the chef at Pollen Street Social, is opening a restaurant in Singapore. I can only hope the standards will be on par with the London branch.


Pollen Street Social 
10 Pollen Street
City of London,
Greater London W1S 1NQ


Reservations


No comments: