Wednesday, November 30, 2011

LONDON: Japanese Special - Koya and Yoshino


I have developed a certain predilection for Japanese food, and even more so because of the abundant sushi and ramen places back in Singapore. Then I come to London, land of rushing workaholics and sandwich eaters, and weeks can go by without my having a single piece of sushi or bowl of miso soup. Last week, however, Jinx visited from Singapore and we had the most intensely Japanese-foodie day. 

First was sashimi lunch at Yoshino (see below), then we had an udon dinner at Koya. I've always loved my ramen, and udon's never really registered in my mind as something to order for some odd reason. Needless to say, Koya has changed my impression of udon. My hot udon came with a small side dish of a thick walnut miso paste, studded generously with walnuts, which went perfectly with my mushroomy udon. I couldn't have been happier on a cold winterish-autumn night. 

Kinoko: mushrooms with walnut miso

Prawn tempura udon - with the beef from Marc's udon included. 
I love poached egg.



What was supposed to be a quick lunch before ice-skating at winter wonderland (pictures on facebook) turned into a much longer affair when the dishes at Yoshino turned out to be surprisingly good. If you're ever struck with a serious sashimi craving and you're willing to splurge, I highly recommend the Chirashi Sushi platter - it comes with 7 varieties of sashimi, including my favourite yellowtail.

Curry Tempura Rice
It's always a good idea to order something as simple as curry and rice at a good restaurant because chances are, they're going to do it extremely well. 

Fatty Tuna Sashimi
Wagyu Grill - this was fantastic. 
California Spicy Tuna Rolls, California Organic Salmon Rolls,
Crispy Jumbo Tempura Prawn Rolls, Calamari Tempura Rolls 

Koya
49 Frith Street  
London W1D 4SG

Yoshino
3 Piccadilly Place
London W1J 0DB
Lunch & Dinner
Mon ~ Sat - 12:00 to 22:30 


No comments: